Monday, September 10, 2012

HEARTS OF GOLD




The end of the school year came around and so did the memory of many shared experiences with my 7th grade students: the cards sent to the children from Yashodhara, Asha-Kiran’s Shelter in India, Uttam and Hansa’s picture (the founders of Asha-Kiran) receiving the envelope containing the cards, the picture of Hansa and Asha-Kiran’s children published in the blog, Yashodhara children writing back on cards made by them with care, the excitement of my students before Uttam’s visit to our high school (which finally could not take place), the big surprise Uttam and his son Uilhas gave them by holding a videoconference, their conversations with me, their questions about my sponsored child Ravi, exams, nervousness. In my heart I felt a pang of pain for not being able to go on teaching my students from IES Celia Viñas.

Three days before the end of the course, my 7th grade students told me, “Ma’am, tomorrow we’ll have a surprise for you”, and I said: “And I will wear a sari” (I knew how excited they were about seeing me in one).

Their surprise made ​​me cry, I got the best thank-you and end-of-school year gift they could have given me: two envelopes with letters and money for the children of Asha-Kiran. They had agreed to bring their own pocket money and, after counting it, it added up to 46€. Four students came with me to the bank to transfer the money to Fundación Asha-Kiran. They had also made bookmarks ​​on the occasion of Peace Day (with messages in Hindi, Marathi, Moroccan, Spanish, English and French), and a group photo with their signatures for the children of Yashodhara.

In their letters, their love for Asha-Kiran and the children was evident - messages from their sincere, loving, noble, caring hearts; "hearts of gold" for me too (IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO CRY).
I thanked them for their surprise present and for their moving words. I truly felt that in the past nine months they had grasped and learned more than the English I had taught them. I was surprised because when they chose the “perfect gift” for me, they showed a deep knowledge of my heart and feelings, which is not so easy to do nowadays. And, wearing my sari, I told them that since I had been in India, I felt my heart was torn up between Spain and India. They had undoubtedly sensed something of the sort.


The next day, I reciprocated with a small tasting of flavors from India. I brought papadums (Indian pancakes) with mango chutney and raita sauce. I taught them how to make lassi (an Indian drink made with yoghurt), and we tried to learn Bollywood steps. Our last day of school and course farewell party was undoubtedly devoted to INDIA.

The day school marks were handed out, each student received a DVD that I had made with photos of all the above events and the audio version of the videoconference with Uttam and Uilhas.
 
Thanks to my dear Hearts of Gold for remembering the hearts at YASHODHARA.

I also wish to thank my colleagues for their work and enthusiasm for my dear A-K, for their contribution, for brainstorming future possible fundraising activities, for purchasing Indian items at our bazaar, not only for themselves, but as gifts for Xmas and other occasions. Thank you for being available and for your generosity. Many grains of sand can make up a sizeable hill.
A new school year is about to begin. I would love to write a lot of articles like this one - articles featuring actions of solidarity from students and teachers.

I also wish to encourage many teachers who, upon reading this article, may carry out awareness-raising activities in their schools and commit to working for an NGO like Asha-Kiran. As a teacher, I can say that all of the activities undertaken in the past years at different schools (such as HUELÍN HIGH SCHOOL in MÁLAGA, “the pioneering one”, the Solidarity Bazaar at ULYSSEA HIGH SCHOOL in UGIJAR-GRANADA, and the activities of the students at CELIA VIÑAS HIGH SCHOOL in ALMERÍA) have been unforgettable experiences for my students and myself.
All of these activities have been invaluable, such as the one my dear students from 7th grade (or “Hearts of Gold”, as I call them) played the leading role in, because the donation and the activity was done of their own accord. As a teacher and collaborator at Asha-Kiran, I appreciate all the support the Foundation gave to my initiatives, i.e., the videoconference with Uttam, who managed to set some time aside in his schedule to be with my students, and the readiness of Hansa and the whole team to make it possible for values of solidarity to reach young people.

Thanks to ASHA-KIRAN because its work awakens and invites us to LIVE FROM ESSENCE.
 

Mª Ángeles Arráez - Collaborator at Asha-Kiran